Reliability & Durability
A rock-solid, time-tested platform makes up the core of the DT’s legendary reliability. For the new generation, Navistar engineers carried forward the proven technologies and components like:
- Premium plateau-honed cylinder design
- Precision-machined wet-sleeve design
- Durable roller cam followers
For changes outside the base engine design, the intention was to further improve reliability. Foremost among these changes are dual sequential free-wheel turbochargers and a premium wiring harness, which utilizes a single foam-molded design that locks down wiring and secures connections. The MaxxForce DT features the same precision-machined wet-sleeved design that provides heavy-duty engine durability. Six bolts per cylinder provide headgasket integrity unmatched by competitive four-bolt designs. Premium valvetrain components and low-friction design further increase engine life. Adding to the appeal of this engine is its ability to be completely re-built in-chassis. As a result, the engine can be returned to original factory specifications for a lot less than the cost of remanufacturing, which gives them a strong value advantage at resale.
Durability and Resale Value.
The MaxxForce DT features the same precision-machined wet-sleeved design that provides heavy-duty engine durability. Six bolts per cylinder provide head-gasket integrity unmatched by competitive four-bolt designs. Premium valvetrain components and low-friction design further increase engine life. Adding to the appeal of this engine is its ability to be completely re-built in-frame. As a result, the engine can be returned to original factory specifications for a lot less than the cost of remanufacturing, which gives them a strong value advantage at re-sale. Over the past 10 years, the average residual value of DT-powered International medium-duty trucks has outpaced the competition by 12–19 percent.
Roller-cam followers provide increased durability, longer valve and camshaft life, and slow valve lash growth compared with competitive flat tappets. Replaceable valve seats and guides allow for easy cylinder head rebuild. Four valves per cylinder provide better breathing, performance and lower emissions.
Advanced High-Pressure Fuel System
The electro-hydraulic high-pressure fuel system features new high-efficiency injector nozzles and advanced electronic control strategies for fuel economy gains.
Improved Air-Management System
A new regulated two-stage turbocharger system and upgraded cooling system provide outstanding boost and response for every application.
- Significantly larger main bearings than most competitors results in heavy-duty durability.
- The crankcase features six head bolts per cylinder, which provides even clamping for head-gasket life that competitive four-bolt designs can’t match.
- Crankcase ladder reinforcement provides added strength and rigidity, maintaining perfect alignment of crankshaft under heavy loads, all while reducing engine noise.
- Precision-machined wet sleeves result in even cylinder cooling and unmatched structural integrity.
- Foam-molded wiring harness secures wiring and connections for increased reliability and durability.
Wide Vocational Capability
The MaxxForce DT is purpose-built to the needs of International customers. It is compatible with a full range of automatic and manual driveline options and thousands of potential build configurations to serve the broadest range of on-and off-highway applications. Eight different model ratings offer 215-300 hp and 560-860 lb.-ft. of torque. Shift energy management technology allows for higher peak torque when used with select transmissions.
The MaxxForce DT now features a host of design improvements that further boost serviceability. These include two-stage turbochargers, single-unit EGR valve, mixer, grid heater and throttle housing, single unique key diagnostic connection and improved accessibility locations of key systems and components.
Versatility, With Available Options:
- Optional engine compression retarder brake
- Programmable electronic parameters for increased fuel economy
- Optional front-end PTO for plow and other applications
Engine Specs & Ratings
- Engine Type: Diesel, 4-Cycle
- Configuration: Inline 6-Cylinder
- Displacement: 7.6 L (466 cu. in.)
- Bore & Stroke: 4.59 in. & 4.68 in. (11.7 cm & 11.9 cm)
- Compression Ratio: 16.4:1
- Aspiration: ≤ 230 hp Aftercooler only
≥ 245 hp Intercooler and Aftercooler
- Combustion System: Direct Injection
- Engine Lubrication: 30 Quarts (28 L)
- Total Engine Weight (Dry): 1,425 lbs. (646 kg)
- Dimensions: ≤ 230 hp L 45 in. x W 42 in. x H 43 in. (L 114 cm x W 107 cm x 109 cm)
≥ 245 hp L 45 in. x W 42 in. x H 47 in. (L 114 cm x W 107 cm x H 119 cm)
- Valves: 4 Valves per Cylinder
- B50 Design Life: 550,000 (885,000 km)